The international involvement of the company in toll projects can be summarised as follows:
Tolplan acted as the toll expert for the Independent Engineer on the Athens northern bypass motorway (Elefsina - Stavros - Spata Airport Motorway & Imittos Western Peripheral Motorway) with its 38 toll plazas. It involves reviewing the operational procedures, functional specifications, conceptual and basic planning and detailed design of toll collection equipment, management information systems and modern urban traffic management systems, including:
- automatic incident detection
- CCTV surveillance
- emergency telephones
- over-height detection system
- tunnel control systems like CO and opacity monitoring, leaky cables for cellular phone reception, lane control signs, variable speed message signs, a public address system, tunnel control rooms, etc.
- variable message signs
- traffic loggers
- meteorological stations
- a central operations and maintenance centre with a traffic management computer system, CCTV monitors and a video wall
- a communication system to all toll plazas and equipment along the road
The company also performed a project to standardise the Electronic and Automatic (Smart Card) Fare Collection system of Greece in order to achieve interoperability country-wide. The project included:
- The review of the latest practices and technologies used in Europe and the world
- Determination of Greek practices
- Recording of the needs of the different role players in Greece and compiling a User Requirement Specification
- The definition and financial / technical analysis of feasible alternative solutions
- Operational procedures
- Detailed Design
- Drafting of tender documents
- Project Budget
- Determination of evaluation criteria for tender evaluation
Tolplan was responsible for an investigation into the financial feasibility of road concessioning in Kenya. This World Bank funded project investigated conventional tolling, shadow tolling and development partner funding as potential funding sources for road concessions in Kenya.
Significant tariff investigations and financial modelling to determine potential project viability were undertaken.
Tolplan performed the following consulting services in respect of two mainline toll plazas that form part of the Maputo Corridor BOT project
for the Construction Joint Venture SBB:
- the design and construction supervision of the two toll plazas
- the design of toll collection equipment, a toll management information system and a traffic management system for the Maputo Corridor route.
Tolplan acted as the toll system expert in the Independent Engineer's team and reviewed the implementation of the toll collection system and video, voice and data networks implementation on the A4 highway between Katowice and Krakow.
The following services were rendered to an international French/Austrian toll road concessionaire in respect of the 2 mainline and 4 ramp toll plazas, 2 operations centres and road systems on the 95 km M5 Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) project between Budapest and Szeged:
- Civil design and construction supervision
- Electrical and mechanical design and construction supervision
- Toll collection and motorway traffic management systems design and supervision
- Fibre optic communications backbone design and supervision
Services rendered to the concessionaires of the Linha Amarella and Rio Teresopolis BOT projects near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil included:
- Linha Amarella
- Planning of mainline toll plaza with express ETC lanes
- Sizing and layout of mainline plaza
- Auditing of civil engineering and specialist toll aspects of toll plaza design
- Toll equipment and management information systems design and procurement supervision
- Traffic management system design and procurement supervision
- Rio Teresopolis
- Equipment design and procurement supervision for mainline plaza with dedicated ETC lanes
- Management information system design and procurement supervision
The design of a toll management information system and traffic management system for development and installation on a Malaysian toll road.
The New Zealand experience is described in the Open Road Tolling (ORT) experience section.